Professionals who work with children and families

If you are a professional who works with children and families (e.g. teachers, doctors, or police) and you have concerns about a family, you can refer them to Family and Child Connect for help.

We connect families to government and non-government services within their local area.

A range of Family and Child Connect resources are available for professionals and families, including information in other languages.

How to refer a family

Anyone can refer a family to Family and Child Connect for help, you can:

Making a report to Child Safety

If we receive information to suggest a child may be in need of protection, a report will be made to Child Safety Services. Our experienced Child Protection Practitioners can assist to identify concerns that should be reported and facilitate the process.


A range of Family and Child Connect resources are available for professionals and families, including information in other languages.

What happens when you refer a family

When you refer a family to Family and Child Connect, an initial assessment of your concern is undertaken and a range of responses are considered. These responses may include:

Information and advice

We provide you with information and advice on how you could respond. This may include advice on how to keep the family engaged and information on local support services.

Referral to a support service

We can help you refer the family to a support service. The service may help you to gain the family’s consent to the referral, and facilitate engagement between the family and the support service to ensure a smooth process.

Active engagement and referral to Intensive Family Support services

Where families have multiple or complex needs, we will engage them in a more detailed needs assessment and seek their consent to be referred to an Intensive Family Support service.

An experienced Child Protection Practitioner is based at each Family and Child Connect location to help identify and respond to more serious concerns.

How can I contact Family and Child Connect?

You can make contact by visiting us in person, calling 13 FAMILY (13 32 64) or by completing our online referral form.

If you need an interpreter, we can organise one for free. Tell us what language you need when you call or visit us.

CatchmentService ProviderStreet AddressSuburb
Bayside The Benevolent Society Redlands Integrated Early Years Service
Cnr School Road and Mount Cotton Road
Beenleigh The Benevolent Society Level 1, 3994 Pacific Highway Loganholme
Brisbane Kurbingui Youth and Family Development 445 Zillmere Road Zillmere
Browns Plains/Beaudesert Mercy Community Level 1, 3202/10-20 Eastern Road Browns Plains
Bundaberg/Fraser Coast Act 4 Kids Currently relocating.  
Cairns Act for Kids 4/202 Scott Street Bungalow
Charleville Lifeline Darling Downs & South West QLD 65 Edward Street Charleville
Emerald UnitingCare Community 124 Borilla Street Emerald
Gladstone UnitingCare Community 25 Off Street Gladstone
Gold Coast Act for Kids 1–3 Casua Drive Varsity Lakes
Ipswich Kummara Limited 13 Thorn Street Ipswich
Kingaroy South Burnett CTC Lot 2 Somerset Street Kingaroy
Logan The Benevolent Society Level 1, 3994 Pacific Highway Loganholme
Mackay Act For Kids 15 Peel Street Mackay
Moreton Bay Mercy Community Suites 28-29 Kingsgate Centre, 42-44 King Street Caboolture
Mount Isa/Gulf 54 reasons 121 Marian Street Townview
Rockhampton UnitingCare Community 229 Musgrave Street North Rockhampton
Roma Lifeline Darling Downs & South West QLD 14-16 McDowall Street Roma
Sunshine Coast/Gympie Act for Kids Unit 6A, 9 Capital Place Birtinya
Toowoomba Mercy Community 104 South Street Rangeville
Townsville Mercy Community 111 Charters Towers Road Hermit Park 

Services delivered by: